Thursday, August 30, 2007

I Solemnly Swear...


...to never eat kiwi again!! (the fruit, not the bird, of course!!) This happened a few days ago but I haven't had time to post anything about it yet. So....the other night Ashley and I went for a run and of course came back to the apartment hungry. I didn't want to eat anything that I would regret, after having just burned a bunch of calories, and remembered that I had bought some kiwi that I didn't want to go to waste. So I get them out of the fridge and cut up all 5 of them and put them in a bowl. Jessica, Debbie, and Ashley were all here too so I figured they would eat some too. I don't know what it was exactly about these particular kiwi, but they seemed especially delicious. I had eaten quite a few pieces when I started to feel a little funny. My tounge began to tingle and burn a little bit and my throat started to feel scratchy. I disregarded it at first but after a few minutes I said something to the girls about it. Then my throat felt like it was made of splintery wood and it hurt to swallow. Soon it felt like there was a piece of chicken caught in there. I kept biting my tounge as it got fat and bumpy. I started freaking out and didn't know what to do. I have eaten several kiwis in my life and never has anything remotely close to an allergic reaction happened before. My roommates and Jessica are practically rolling on the floor with laughter at my apparently comical antics. Sure, I was making a joke of it but I was a little frightened as well. Debbie ran and got me some benadryl and said if the swellingness didn't go down in a half hour or kept getting worse she was going to take me to the emergency room. Um...red flag here, I am terrified of hospitals and wasn't too excited about the idea of possibly having to go!! 2 benadryl and a bowl of soup later, the swelling and the tingling started to receed and I felt much better about life. I am just oh so sad that now I will never be able to eat kiwi again!! :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey! I'm glad you're ok. That's scary!