Thursday, July 5, 2007

Training Wheels?


Molly and I went to get new bikes yesterday. There's a guy a few blocks away who fixes up old bikes and sells them out of his garage. We decided this would be a great new economical way for us to get around and we could go on some exciting adventures together and get back in shape. I think we both found exactly what we were looking for. Both are vintage and we each payed a grand total of $5!! Molly's is big and green with brown handle bars and brown seat. She named it Jacques and immediately fell in love with it. Mine is smaller and blue with those brown curly kind of handle bars and a black seat. It's pretty similar to the one in the picture but it's a darker blue. His name was proudly displayed on the side, "Ross." My thoughts: perfect. I absolutely love this bike. Only one problem, it's been probably 8 years or so since I've ridden a bike. It takes some practice to get back into it. So Molly and I rode them from my house over to her apartment yesterday afternoon, taking the longest route possible to avoid as much traffic and human interaction as possible. Because we haven't gotten bike locks yet and didn't want anyone to steal our new sweet rides, we proceeded to carry the bikes up the 3 flights of stairs to Molly's apartment and stash them in her kitchen. My only question to Molly, "I wonder what will happen first, if I will crash and wipe out or get hit by a car." Her response: "I'll say wipe out." Mine: "I sure hope so." (don't worry mom and dad we are very safe and allow more than enough time before crossing the street!) So today I decided to take Ross out for his first real ride before Molly and I head out later this afternoon. One thing is for sure: I don't have to wonder anymore... No, no I didn't get hit by a car! This is where the story really gets good. So I'm cruising around campus, trying to get comfortable riding a bike again. I'm very aware that I need to practice turning...and stopping...and riding straight. I had already gone all around the quad once and decided to go around once more before heading back towards the house. At the same time there are 3 or 4 huge groups of preview students out on the quad playing games and stuff with their preview guides. Then here I come cruising down the middle of the quad on good old Ross when I start to go off the sidewalk a little bit. Naturally, I try to get back on the sidewalk a little bit to avoid any sort of disaster then BAM! I hit the concrete and flew off of Ross. About a hundred preview students turned and stared at me with their mouths open. An older lady ran up to me and asked if I was okay. My only response to her: "Oh, I just thought this looked like a good place to take a rest." I couldn't stop laughing. She says, "Oh yeah, it only hurts when you stop laughing." The whole time I'm thinking, "Ma'm it doesn't hurt at all, my dignity is simply lost forever." I could not stop laughing. This happened a couple of hours ago, and still, I can not stop laughing. My knee is bleeding and I'm not even mad. That was hilarious!! I just wanted to give those preview students something to remember their first visit to ISU...

3 comments:

JGanschow said...

yep. there is no doubt. you are my sister. hilarious.

Anonymous said...

That's great. It reminded me of the time you raced Justin down the road and turned into the GRAVEL driveway without slowing down. Perhaps you should invest in some kneepads, elbow pads, wrist guards, a helmet...maybe some leather pants and a motorcycle jacket.

*Jillian* said...

how could i ever forget the great bicycle accident of 1996?!?! and i totally agree, a nice motorcycle jacket and leather pants would be absolutely perfect paired up with all of that protective gear! haha